• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 simple simon

simple simon

To me I'm me, but who am I really?

• High Member Forum Mask
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • Interests:wide range of interests... I once tried keeping an open mind on everything but things started to fall out through the opening and I've now reached the point where I don't want to lose any more sawdust.

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:00 PM

Ex Machina A I Conundrum

I saw a trailer for a film which is coming out in 2015 which poses some deep philosophical questions for humankind. The film is about a young man who takes part in some sort of week-long test with a female android.

The official blurb says this...

Caleb, a 24 year old coder at the world's largest internet company, wins a competition to spend a week at a private mountain retreat belonging to Nathan, the reclusive CEO of the company. But when Caleb arrives at the remote location he finds that he will have to participate in a strange and fascinating experiment in which he must interact with the world's first true artificial intelligence, housed in the body of a beautiful robot girl.

I wonder; are there those like her who are for real (and male equivalents, of course)?

If so, how would ordinary people tell? OK, those who can detect aura's,  whether a person is breathing and all that would likely soon notice, but the rest of us?

The film trailer poses a real issue... once created does an AI that is sentient have a right to life?

I suppose that if we look at human life and how despite our own sentience our bodies still perish, so.... but how can I be so cruel? all sentient beings have their continued existence at the top of their list of aspirations. Why should robotic life forms be any different to flesh and blood life forms?

Because they do not carry the Divine spark within them?

Maybe those humans who remember previous lives would think differently and instead wish for the AI's egoic self-awareness to simply be transferred to "better bodies" rather than extinguished when the body has become scheduled for replacement by a better model.

Simon, with what HAL did in mind.

Edited by simple simon, 09 December 2014 - 11:17 PM.

Citizen of Planet Earth, living in the British Isles.

#2 skylark

skylark

A Chief Ufologiist

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

*'Sweeps' NOTE:

...Transhumanism, raising ITS' Head Simon...done many a LECTURE on this, and even participated in 'It's early development/cum contemplation/experimentation. Kid you not...You haven't seen anything yet. Now 'THEY' are 'SYNTHESISING' DNA/RNA 'itself'. We have NOW stupidly opened the forbidden 'Pandora's Box'.

This is the beginning of the end of Sentient existence as WE know it. Help huh?

Good post...thanks/'S'