• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 simple simon

simple simon

To me I'm me, but who am I really?

• High Member Forum Mask
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • Interests:wide range of interests... I once tried keeping an open mind on everything but things started to fall out through the opening and I've now reached the point where I don't want to lose any more sawdust.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

The links below lead to pages on the NASA and the Earthsky websites about a celestial event this coming Saturday morning (24th May 2014) which could manifest as anything from a non-event, a pleasant meteor shower / display of shooting stars, a noisy visual event (which frightens many people but is minimally destructive - such as in Russia in February 2013) or the cause of the global coastal event such as was being discussed for May 2013 (but in the end did not happen).

NASA say that the best views will be from the USA but as it will take 30 hours to pass through Comet Linear's debris field so maybe we will see something in other regions as well?

http://nightsky.jpl....?Event_ID=51147

http://earthsky.org/...-storm-may-2014

Simon

*We'll keep a 'watch' then Simon....they did say 'possibly' ^_^

Edited by skylark, 23 May 2014 - 10:57 AM.
Keepin your POST up-formal reply unnecessary

Citizen of Planet Earth, living in the British Isles.

#2 skylark

skylark

A Chief Ufologiist

• Administrators
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

*'Sweeps' NOTE:
...Putting this note up from the Space Weather DOT com Site, since the Earth has never encountered this COMET Previously. Where do these 'ODD'/unexpected Comets come from huh? Just added info, and maybe you'll be prepared or venture a look at the skies. Get back/'S'

METEOR ALERT: This weekend, Earth will pass through a stream of debris from Comet 209P/LINEAR. If forecasters are correct, the encounter could produce an outburst of bright meteors numbering more than 200 per hour. Most models agree that peak rates should occur between the hours of 0600 UT and 0800 UT (2 a.m. and 4 a.m. EDT) on Saturday morning, May 24th, a time frame that favors observers in North America.

It is worth noting, however, that Earth has never encountered this stream of debris before, so forecasters cannot be certain of their predictions.

The display could be a complete dud, a fantastic "meteor storm," or anything in between. Visit http://spaceweather.com for full coverage.

#3 simple simon

simple simon

• High Member Forum Mask
  • 1,922 posts
  • Interests:wide range of interests... I once tried keeping an open mind on everything but things started to fall out through the opening and I've now reached the point where I don't want to lose any more sawdust.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Did nothing happen? Certainly it seems that way.

Or did bacteria rain down upon the planet - with a plague now imminent?

Hope not!

Simon

#4 skylark

skylark

A Chief Ufologiist

• Administrators
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

*'Sweeps' NOTE:
...The LINK below should answer a lot of your questions/consideration on 'WHAT REALLY HAPPENED' with this COMET and its tail passing the EARTH Simon and ALL. It really did happen, and still to be evaluated as to its effect. But, I'd suggest that you view this LINK and get the 'up to date-what happened-information. Thanks/'S'

http://rt.com/news/1...camelopardalid/

#5 simple simon

simple simon

• High Member Forum Mask
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

So, rather than the hoped for visual delight there was a modest show which was only visible in a few areas.

In other words, not a damp squid, but not far from it.

I recall a meteor display in the late 1970's (or was it early 1980's?) when we saw some shooting stars here in London. A small group of us went somewhere just outside London where there were no street lights. It was about the same as this.

Simon