• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

THE CONSCIOUS UNIVERSE…

THE SCIENTIFIC TRUTH OF PSYCHIC PHENOMENA

DEAN RADIN Ph.D-AUTHOR

*’Sweeps’ NOTE: Dean Radin is also a graduate of MIT/Enjoy

*CLICK on The Book Cover and Dean’s Photo:
Attached File  CONSCIOUS_UNIVERSE__BOOK_COVER.3.jpg   68.06KB   117 downloads Attached File  DEAN_RADIN_PhD_PHOTO.jpg   43.89KB   117 downloads

Excerpt from Chapter One:

In science, the acceptance of new ideas follows a predictable, four-stage sequence. In Stage 1, skeptics confidently proclaim that the idea is impossible because it violates the Laws of Science. This stage can last from years to centuries, depending on how much the idea challenges conventional wisdom. In Stage 2, skeptics reluctantly concede that the idea is possible, but it is not very interesting and the claimed effects are extremely weak. Stage 3 begins when the mainstream realizes that the idea is not only important, but its effects are much stronger and more pervasive than previously imagined. Stage 4 is achieved when the same critics who used to disavow any interest in the idea begin to proclaim that they thought of it first. Eventually, no one remembers that the idea was once considered a dangerous heresy.

The idea discussed in this book is in the midst of the most important and the most difficult of the four transitions – from Stage 1 into Stage 2. While the idea itself is ancient, it has taken more than a century to conclusively demonstrate it in accordance with rigorous, scientific standards. This demonstration has accelerated Stage 2 acceptance, and Stage 3 can already be glimpsed on the horizon.

The idea is that those compelling, perplexing and sometimes profound human experiences known as "psychic phenomena" are real.

This will come as no surprise to most of the world’s population, because the majority already believes in psychic phenomena. But over the past few years, something new has propelled us beyond old debates over personal beliefs. The reality of psychic phenomena is now no longer based solely upon faith, or wishful thinking, or absorbing anecdotes. It is not even based upon the results of a few scientific experiments. Instead, we know that these phenomena exist because of new ways of evaluating massive amounts of scientific evidence collected over a century by scores of researchers.

Psychic, or "psi" phenomena fall into two general categories. The first is perception of objects or events beyond the range of the ordinary senses. The second is mentally causing action at a distance. In both categories, it seems that intention, the mind’s will, can do things that – according to prevailing scientific theories – it isn’t supposed to be able to do. We wish to know what is happening to loved ones, and somehow, sometimes, that information is available even over large distances. We wish to speed the recovery of a loved one’s illness, and somehow they get better quicker, even at a distance. Mind willing, many interesting things appear to be possible.

Understanding such experiences requires an expanded view of human consciousness. Is the mind merely a mechanistic, information-processing bundle of neurons? Is it a "computer made of meat" as some cognitive scientists and neuroscientists believe? Or is it something more? The evidence suggests that while many aspects of mental functioning are undoubtedly related to brain structure and electrochemical activity, there is also something else happening, something very interesting.
This is for real?

When discussing the reality of psi phenomena, especially from the scientific perspective, one question always hovers in the background: You mean this is for real? In the midst of all the nonsense and excessive silliness proclaimed in the name of psychic phenomena, the misinformed use of the term parapsychology by self-proclaimed "paranormal investigators," the perennial laughing stock of magicians and conjurers … this is for real?
The short answer is, Yes.

A more elaborate answer is, psi has been shown to exist in thousands of experiments. There are disagreements over to how to interpret the evidence, but the fact is that virtually all scientists who have studied the evidence, including the hard-nosed skeptics, now agree that there is something interesting going on that merits serious scientific attention.

REVIEWERS COMMENTS:

This is the best survey of real evidence for the existence of psychic phenomena ever compiled. Clear, comprehensive, engaging, and convincing, it provides hard facts, not hazy opinions. It is a bastion of substance in a sea of credulous psi publications that separates the real science of parapsychology from the morass of channelers, telephone hot-line psychics, side-show telepathics and metaphysical healers that most of the population associates with psychic phenomena, and who have unfairly caused parapsychologists to become pariahs to their colleagues in the more conventional sciences.
*Michael Epstein, Ph.D., Research Chemist, National Institute for Standards and Technologies, and former President, National Capitol Area Skeptics, reviewed in Journal of Scientific Exploration

The materialist worldview predicts that telepathy, psychokinesis and clairvoyance are impossible. Using modern statistical methods Dean Radin examines half a century of mind-matter research and concludes that these 'impossible' phenomena certainly exist--on the basis of robust, reliable, and repeatable evidence. More than just another science book, The Conscious Universe is a revolutionary act!
Nick Herbert, Ph.D., physicist, author of Elemental Mind, Quantum Reality, and Faster Than Light.

Radin makes the most powerful case for the reality of parapsychological phenomena that I have yet encountered. He shows how recent research gives overwhelming evidence for the existence of forms of influence and communication at present unexplained. He writes clearly, powerfully and persuasively, and this book shows that we are at a turning point in our scientific understanding of our minds and of nature.
Rupert Sheldrake, Ph.D., biologist, author of A New Science of Life and Seven Experiments That Could Change the World.

#2 skylark

skylark

A Chief Ufologiist

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

THE CONSCIOUS UNIVERSE…

THE SCIENTIFIC TRUTH OF PSYCHIC PHENOMENA

DEAN RADIN Ph.D-AUTHOR

*’Sweeps’ NOTE: Dean Radin is also a graduate of MIT/Enjoy

*CLICK on The Book Cover and Dean’s Photo:
Attached File  CONSCIOUS_UNIVERSE__BOOK_COVER.3.jpg   68.06KB   117 downloads Attached File  DEAN_RADIN_PhD_PHOTO.jpg   43.89KB   117 downloads

Excerpt from Chapter One:

In science, the acceptance of new ideas follows a predictable, four-stage sequence. In Stage 1, skeptics confidently proclaim that the idea is impossible because it violates the Laws of Science. This stage can last from years to centuries, depending on how much the idea challenges conventional wisdom. In Stage 2, skeptics reluctantly concede that the idea is possible, but it is not very interesting and the claimed effects are extremely weak. Stage 3 begins when the mainstream realizes that the idea is not only important, but its effects are much stronger and more pervasive than previously imagined. Stage 4 is achieved when the same critics who used to disavow any interest in the idea begin to proclaim that they thought of it first. Eventually, no one remembers that the idea was once considered a dangerous heresy.

The idea discussed in this book is in the midst of the most important and the most difficult of the four transitions – from Stage 1 into Stage 2. While the idea itself is ancient, it has taken more than a century to conclusively demonstrate it in accordance with rigorous, scientific standards. This demonstration has accelerated Stage 2 acceptance, and Stage 3 can already be glimpsed on the horizon.

The idea is that those compelling, perplexing and sometimes profound human experiences known as "psychic phenomena" are real.

This will come as no surprise to most of the world’s population, because the majority already believes in psychic phenomena. But over the past few years, something new has propelled us beyond old debates over personal beliefs. The reality of psychic phenomena is now no longer based solely upon faith, or wishful thinking, or absorbing anecdotes. It is not even based upon the results of a few scientific experiments. Instead, we know that these phenomena exist because of new ways of evaluating massive amounts of scientific evidence collected over a century by scores of researchers.

Psychic, or "psi" phenomena fall into two general categories. The first is perception of objects or events beyond the range of the ordinary senses. The second is mentally causing action at a distance. In both categories, it seems that intention, the mind’s will, can do things that – according to prevailing scientific theories – it isn’t supposed to be able to do. We wish to know what is happening to loved ones, and somehow, sometimes, that information is available even over large distances. We wish to speed the recovery of a loved one’s illness, and somehow they get better quicker, even at a distance. Mind willing, many interesting things appear to be possible.

Understanding such experiences requires an expanded view of human consciousness. Is the mind merely a mechanistic, information-processing bundle of neurons? Is it a "computer made of meat" as some cognitive scientists and neuroscientists believe? Or is it something more? The evidence suggests that while many aspects of mental functioning are undoubtedly related to brain structure and electrochemical activity, there is also something else happening, something very interesting.
This is for real?

When discussing the reality of psi phenomena, especially from the scientific perspective, one question always hovers in the background: You mean this is for real? In the midst of all the nonsense and excessive silliness proclaimed in the name of psychic phenomena, the misinformed use of the term parapsychology by self-proclaimed "paranormal investigators," the perennial laughing stock of magicians and conjurers … this is for real?
The short answer is, Yes.

A more elaborate answer is, psi has been shown to exist in thousands of experiments. There are disagreements over to how to interpret the evidence, but the fact is that virtually all scientists who have studied the evidence, including the hard-nosed skeptics, now agree that there is something interesting going on that merits serious scientific attention.

REVIEWERS COMMENTS:

This is the best survey of real evidence for the existence of psychic phenomena ever compiled. Clear, comprehensive, engaging, and convincing, it provides hard facts, not hazy opinions. It is a bastion of substance in a sea of credulous psi publications that separates the real science of parapsychology from the morass of channelers, telephone hot-line psychics, side-show telepathics and metaphysical healers that most of the population associates with psychic phenomena, and who have unfairly caused parapsychologists to become pariahs to their colleagues in the more conventional sciences.
*Michael Epstein, Ph.D., Research Chemist, National Institute for Standards and Technologies, and former President, National Capitol Area Skeptics, reviewed in Journal of Scientific Exploration

The materialist worldview predicts that telepathy, psychokinesis and clairvoyance are impossible. Using modern statistical methods Dean Radin examines half a century of mind-matter research and concludes that these 'impossible' phenomena certainly exist--on the basis of robust, reliable, and repeatable evidence. More than just another science book, The Conscious Universe is a revolutionary act!
Nick Herbert, Ph.D., physicist, author of Elemental Mind, Quantum Reality, and Faster Than Light.

Radin makes the most powerful case for the reality of parapsychological phenomena that I have yet encountered. He shows how recent research gives overwhelming evidence for the existence of forms of influence and communication at present unexplained. He writes clearly, powerfully and persuasively, and this book shows that we are at a turning point in our scientific understanding of our minds and of nature.
Rupert Sheldrake, Ph.D., biologist, author of A New Science of Life and Seven Experiments That Could Change the World.

*'Sweeps' NOTE:....Dean Radin Biography below:
Attached File  DEAN_RADIN_3_PHOTO.jpg   21.83KB   125 downloads

I played classical violin professionally until age 25, then switched to fiddle and banjo and played in bluegrass bands for a number of years. Along the way I graduated with a degree in electrical engineering, magna cum laude and with senior honors, from the University of Massachusetts (Amherst), a masters in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana), and a PhD in psychology, also from the University of Illinois.

For a decade I worked at AT&T Bell Laboratories and later at GTE Laboratories on advanced telecommunications R&D, and then I held appointments at Princeton University, University of Edinburgh, University of Nevada, SRI International and Interval Research Corporation, where I was engaged in research on psychic or "psi" phenomena. At SRI I worked on what is now popularly known as the (formerly classified) psi research program codenamed StarGate. In 2000 I cofounded the Boundary Institute and since 2001 I've been Senior Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences. I also hold an adjunct appointment at Sonoma State University and am on the Distinguished Consulting Faculty at Saybrook Graduate School.

The majority of my professional career has focused on experimentally probing the far reaches of human consciousness, primarily poorly understood phenomena like intuition, gut feelings and psi phenomena. Very few scientists are actively engaged in research on these perennially interesting topics, and perhaps because of this unusual choice of profession I was featured in a New York Times Magazine article in 1996.

My interests in these topics were motivated partially by sheer curiosity, but also by an appreciation that these experiences are responsible for most of the greatest inventions, artistic and scientific achievements, creative insights, and religious epiphanies throughout history. Understanding this realm of human experience thus offers more than mere academic interest -- it touches upon the very best that the human intellect and spirit have had to offer. I discovered while working on these topics that I enjoy the challenge of exploring the frontiers of science, and that I am comfortable tolerating the ambiguity of not knowing the "right answer," which is a constant companion at the frontier.

After being engaged in the scientific investigation of such phenomena for about 25 years, I've become convinced through the laboratory evidence that some psychic experiences are genuine, that many people do have real psychic experiences (occasionally), and that most people who claim to have extremely reliable or accurate psychic abilities are delusional. This topic is exploited for entertainment purposes, and the world is full of unscrupulous individuals who falsely claim psychic abilities, so I understand why many scientists avoid this topic. Nevertheless, because the empirical evidence reveals that some psychic effects can be repeatedly observed under controlled conditions, these phenomena are profoundly important because they suggest that prevailing scientific assumptions about human capacities are seriously incomplete.

There is certainly room for scholarly debate about these topics, and I know many informed skeptics whose opinions I value. However, I've also learned that there are some who are irrationally hostile about this topic, yet they know little or nothing about it. There is no kind way to say this, but the most stubborn skeptics do not understand scientific methods or the use of statistical inference, nor do they appreciate the history, philosophy or sociology of science. Their emotional rejection of the evidence seems to be motivated by fundamentalist beliefs of the scientistic or religious kind.

#3 skylark

skylark

A Chief Ufologiist

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

*'Sweeps' NOTE:....Dean Radin Biography below:
Attached File  DEAN_RADIN_3_PHOTO.jpg   21.83KB   125 downloads

I played classical violin professionally until age 25, then switched to fiddle and banjo and played in bluegrass bands for a number of years. Along the way I graduated with a degree in electrical engineering, magna cum laude and with senior honors, from the University of Massachusetts (Amherst), a masters in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana), and a PhD in psychology, also from the University of Illinois.

For a decade I worked at AT&T Bell Laboratories and later at GTE Laboratories on advanced telecommunications R&D, and then I held appointments at Princeton University, University of Edinburgh, University of Nevada, SRI International and Interval Research Corporation, where I was engaged in research on psychic or "psi" phenomena. At SRI I worked on what is now popularly known as the (formerly classified) psi research program codenamed StarGate. In 2000 I cofounded the Boundary Institute and since 2001 I've been Senior Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences. I also hold an adjunct appointment at Sonoma State University and am on the Distinguished Consulting Faculty at Saybrook Graduate School.

The majority of my professional career has focused on experimentally probing the far reaches of human consciousness, primarily poorly understood phenomena like intuition, gut feelings and psi phenomena. Very few scientists are actively engaged in research on these perennially interesting topics, and perhaps because of this unusual choice of profession I was featured in a New York Times Magazine article in 1996.

My interests in these topics were motivated partially by sheer curiosity, but also by an appreciation that these experiences are responsible for most of the greatest inventions, artistic and scientific achievements, creative insights, and religious epiphanies throughout history. Understanding this realm of human experience thus offers more than mere academic interest -- it touches upon the very best that the human intellect and spirit have had to offer. I discovered while working on these topics that I enjoy the challenge of exploring the frontiers of science, and that I am comfortable tolerating the ambiguity of not knowing the "right answer," which is a constant companion at the frontier.

After being engaged in the scientific investigation of such phenomena for about 25 years, I've become convinced through the laboratory evidence that some psychic experiences are genuine, that many people do have real psychic experiences (occasionally), and that most people who claim to have extremely reliable or accurate psychic abilities are delusional. This topic is exploited for entertainment purposes, and the world is full of unscrupulous individuals who falsely claim psychic abilities, so I understand why many scientists avoid this topic. Nevertheless, because the empirical evidence reveals that some psychic effects can be repeatedly observed under controlled conditions, these phenomena are profoundly important because they suggest that prevailing scientific assumptions about human capacities are seriously incomplete.

There is certainly room for scholarly debate about these topics, and I know many informed skeptics whose opinions I value. However, I've also learned that there are some who are irrationally hostile about this topic, yet they know little or nothing about it. There is no kind way to say this, but the most stubborn skeptics do not understand scientific methods or the use of statistical inference, nor do they appreciate the history, philosophy or sociology of science. Their emotional rejection of the evidence seems to be motivated by fundamentalist beliefs of the scientistic or religious kind.

:wacko: *'Sweeps' NOTE:
Other books by Dean Radin Ph.D...can be found on Amazon.com of course...
Here's one of them...below-
It deals with...'Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality'...great book/'S'
Attached File  ENTANGLED_MINDS_BOOK_RADIN_AUTHOR.jpg   85.82KB   113 downloads

#4 skylark

skylark

A Chief Ufologiist

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

:wacko: *'Sweeps' NOTE:
Other books by Dean Radin Ph.D...can be found on Amazon.com of course...
Here's one of them...below-
It deals with...'Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality'...great book/'S'
Attached File  ENTANGLED_MINDS_BOOK_RADIN_AUTHOR.jpg   85.82KB   113 downloads

*'Sweeps' NOTE:
...More on Professor Dean Radin/'S' :lol:
Dean Radin is a researcher and author in the field of parapsychology. He is Senior Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences, in Petaluma, California, USA, on the Adjunct Faculty at Sonoma State University, on the Distinguished Consulting Faculty at Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center, and four-time former President of the Parapsychological Association-